As you may have gathered in my previous post earlier today the numbers for the Three Locks were quite low, that in itself is fine as I do understand that not everybody can make every event.
This weekend 8 people played which is great, however I was expecting 10 on the day. There were 2 people who never turned up or bothered to contact me and let me know. (1 person also did this at Windmill!).
In the week leading up to the event a further 4 or 5 people also let me know that they couldn’t make it after previously confirming that they would play.
Given that I had requested the Three Locks reserve 4 tee times only a week beforehand they weren’t impressed and to be frank neither was I!
Whilst I appreciate that emergencies and changes of plans do happen the reason these events are scheduled in advance is to give you time to organise yourselves and make sure they are in you diary.
From an organisational perspective when I arrange events I have to get prices and reserve tee-times from the courses we play, to do this I need to give them an indication of numbers. Normally courses will also want me to pay a deposit and make up the balance on the day. Usually I am asked to firm up on numbers around a week beforehand.
Thankfully at the Three Locks last weekend I didn’t have to either pay a deposit or firm up on numbers but this isn’t normally the case.
I do want to reduce the chance of this happening in the future and after a brief discussion with those that were there on the 10th we agreed that for all future events, starting for our next event which is the 14th July, I should take a deposit payment. It was felt that the deposit amount of £10.00 or the deposit required by the course, whichever is greater was not an unreasonable amount!
It will be the act of paying the deposit that confirms your place!
The process will be as follows:
- I will provisionally book the course and give them an indication of the numbers playing.
- I will put the event details (course, date, time and amount of deposit required etc.) on the website and ask people to confirm their attendance.
- The event details will include details of my bank account for those who wish to pay by electronic transfer which would be the preferred method
- For those that wish to pay by electronic transfer remember to put your name in the reference field so I know where the money has come from!
- For those of you that see me at school / football / pub / pavilion etc. the deposit in cash is fine too!
- The receipt of the deposit payment confirms your place, your place will not be confirmed by email/text or any other way until payment is received.
- Once payment is received your name will be put onto the website to confirm your attendance.
- Please note that the deposit payment is NON-REFUNDABLE in the event you cannot then subsequently play.
- If you are in any doubt don’t pay the deposit!
A fair amount of my time goes into organising these events and updating the website with photos / handicaps etc. so if people don’t want to play or pay the deposit then that is fine to!
On the plus side I also said that once a date has been set, short of a natural disaster it won’t be changed! Even if there are only 2 players it will go ahead!
Due to the lack of numbers at the weekend I did think very carefully about cancelling the event at the last moment but decided against it for the 10 or so that had committed to be there (although only 8 then turned up!)
As a final note, there were a lot of you that said at the outset you couldn’t make it which is brilliant too thank you. I can work with definite yes’s and definite no’s. I can even work with no’s that become yes’s but the other way around is a problem!
Thanks for your understanding! I look forward to seeing you all next time…